Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Prisoner of Hope



There is a point when each of us feels like a prisoner.  We are imprisoned by our disappointments, our mistakes, our past, our loneliness, our lack of money, our lack of energy, or low self-worth, or maybe even abuses we have suffered.  Regardless of how fair a trial we received, we feel locked up, locked away, and forgotten.

Prisons have a way of robbing us of our dignity, our confidence, and most importantly, our hope.

Why God allows despair in our lives is still something that confuses me.  I have some thoughts and I have come to peace with most of it.  But even more than I believe we will all see the bottom of a pit...I believe God is able to deliver us from it.

Listen to what God said, through a prophet named Zechariah, to His people:

As for you, because of the blood of my covenant with you, I will free your prisoners from the waterless pit. Return to your fortress, you prisoners of hope; even now I announce that I will restore twice as much to you.  Zechariah 9:11-12

Prisoners of hope.

When we are in prison, we lose hope.  And hope is all we have.

Hope runs from us.  Hope chases after us.

Hope eludes us.  Hope inspires us.

We hope for freedom.  And it is hope that frees us.


There are days when I feel locked away like a rat.  There are days when I feel as free as a bird.

But on every day I will choose to be a prisoner of Hope.  It's only then that I am free.



No comments: