Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Delay




So when he heard that Lazarus was sick, (Jesus) stayed where he was two more days, and then he said to his disciples, “Let us go back to Judea.”  John 11:6-7

Can you imagine the confusion and disappointment, even frustration, that Lazarus' family experienced when Jesus decided to delay his trip?  Jesus, a friend of the family, received word that Lazarus was sick.  He responded by staying where He was a few more days.  He had the power to make Lazarus well.  He had the power to do something about it!  He had the power to prevent tragedy.  And yet He chose to stay a few more days.

There have been so many times in my own life when Jesus seemed to be too busy for me.  If not too busy, then perhaps even indifferent.  In my heart I knew better.  I knew He loved me.  I knew He must have a reason.  But it did not make it easier to endure.

Eventually Jesus showed up at Lazarus' home.

“Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. John 11:21

Can you feel the hurt, pain, and anguish in her words?  She was telling Jesus, "This one's on You.  You could have stopped this!

I'll get to the rest of the story in my next writing, but I want to stop here to remind you (and myself) that absolutely nothing reaches us before passing through the fingers of God.  He is aware of the sickness.  He is able to heal  And, yet, sometimes He delays.

Jesus is willing to delay your healing to pave the way for your resurrection.




No comments: