Monday, February 4, 2013

To My Future Son-in-Law



Hopefully, I am YEARS AWAY from giving away my daughter's hand to someone else.  But for now, this is what I think I will want to say to the young man...


To my (Future) Son-in-Law:

You don’t deserve my daughter.  But neither did I.  From this point forward, I don’t want you to ever correct me or tell me what to do.  Yet, I have a feeling I will learn a lot of things from you.  You’ll just have to take my word for it.

As much as I am learning to respect you, sometimes you remind me of all things I forgot to say and do.  Honestly, I don’t like the way that makes me feel.  Sometimes I resent you for it.

You’ll take my daughter on trips I couldn’t afford.  You’ll become her protector and provider.  That’s someone I used to be.

This world has changed.  You’re a lot smarter than I was.  But every now and then, tell me you’re learning a lot from me.  We’ll both know you’re lying, but it’ll be nice to hear anyway.

We do have one thing in common.  Neither one of us is God.  And if you…or I…get in the way of my daughter,…I mean…your wife…becoming the person God created her to be, then God have mercy on us both.

So, I’m letting go.  I'll let you lead.  I’m getting out of the way.  You don’t need me looking over your shoulder.  I lead my house one way.  You’ve got to discover your own way.

And never forget…I know where you live.

Love, "Dad"

No comments: