Thursday, July 10, 2014

No More Slaves



Every 30 seconds, a young boy, a young girl, a man, or a woman, is forced into a life of slavery.  Much of the time, that someone is a young girl.  She is taken or sold.  She is then sexually abused so that someone else can make money.  

The concept of human trafficking was brought to my attention almost ten years ago.  Gary Haugen, the founder and president of the International Justice Mission, was speaking at a conference.  It was his presentation that stuck with me.  Of all the terrible tragedies and suffering that take place around the world, none has produced more anger and sadness within me than human trafficking.  

Maybe it is because I am a father.  The idea of someone laying a hand on my daughter, much less taking her, makes my blood boil.  Think Liam Neeson...but with less compassion.   

Or maybe it is because I am a follower of Jesus.  When God gave me a new heart, fighting injustice became a part of me.  I can imagine few things more important to God, or to me.  

Right now, someone’s child is being raped. I wonder if that child is waiting for rescue.  If that child is asking herself, “Is anyone one the way to help me?” 

If you are interested in being a part of the rescue, below are 5 rock star organizations that are committed to ending this!

Slavery still exits.  But it doesn’t have to.






No comments: