Sunday, July 20, 2014

Clean and Jerk



The connection between fitness and faith is very important to me.  Nearly every time I hit the gym, I end up making some sort of comparison between lifting and following Jesus.  This morning, while with our church I started daydreaming about my workout schedule this week.  

Four to six times a month I incorporate an olympic style lift into my routine.  This week I'm going to spend some time working the clean and jerk.  As I started pre-planning in my mind, I realized how fitting the name of that lift is for me.  

Even on my best day, I'm a jerk.  Plain and simple.  Whether it's selfishness, laziness, arrogance, or some other flaw, I act like a jerk.  

Most of us dismiss, ignore, or even shun jerks.  We don't want to have anything to do with them.  

But not God.  He chases us.  He pursues us and reminds us that He is in the process of cleaning us. Cleaning up jerks is what He does. 

Before God, because of what Jesus did, I am clean.  There is no condemnation.  I can stand with boldness and confidence.  

Before my peers, friends, and others, I am being cleaned.  It's a process.   Day by day, I am becoming more and more of the person I was created to be.

It's such a comfort to know that God loves to lift.  Next time my wife texts at 6:00pm and asks where I am, I can say I'm at the gym...lifting for Jesus.  


   

No comments: