Monday, April 3, 2017

The Story of God: Isaac



Isaac’s life was the result of a miracle God performed for his parents

The Lord appeared to Isaac and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land where I tell you to live. Stay in this land for a while, and I will be with you and will bless you. For to you and your descendants I will give all these lands and will confirm the oath I swore to your father Abraham. I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him, keeping my commands, my decrees and my instructions.” So Isaac stayed in Gerar.  Genesis 26:2-6


Isaac’s success was rooted in a promise God made to his father

That night the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bless you and will increase the number of your descendants for the sake of my servant Abraham.”  Genesis 26:24


Isaac’s legacy was rooted in a covenant God made with his father


In Genesis 27, Isaac's son Jacob was blessed (although it should have been Esau).  Jacob’s blessing was ultimately a result of being Abraham’s descendant…not Isaac’s.

Am I content to let my kids ride the coat tails of my parent’s faith?  Or am I committed to seeing them experience the blessing of being my children? 

I cannot force faith on my family.  But I can fail my family by neglecting to own my responsibility as the spiritual leader.

My faith is not the only determining factor in my child’s choices; but it is a powerful one.



There is a difference between letting kids own their faith and leading kids to own their faith

When we let them, we neglect our responsibility and forfeit our influence

When we lead them we accept our responsibility and leverage our influence. 


Sadly, many kids have Jesus-following parents, but are only learning how to whine, complain, bicker, gossip, and post selfies.

As a parents, I need to make sure I am growing and then be willing to let my kids in on what I am learning.


Sure, kids are a blessing.  But I want to be a blessing to my kids!

No comments: