Monday, February 9, 2015

Faith Defined



Faith.  I am still figuring it out.  After all these years I am still trying to understand what it is.

I know the definition:

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.  Hebrews 11:1

I know of the importance:

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.  Hebrews 11:6

Yet the question I continue to work through is this:

Is faith believing God can or believing God will?

If I believe God can, but am not sure God will, is that still faith?

I am convinced of God’s ability.  I do not doubt His power.  I do not doubt His authority.

The Bible speaks to the fact that prayer has the power to move God’s heart and God’s hand. (Luke 18:4; James 5:16)  The Bible speaks to the fact that there are some things that I do not have because I have yet to ask for them (James 4:2).  The Bible even speaks to the fact that when I present a specific request to God, (at least in the case of wisdom) my doubt has the power to prevent me from receiving it (James 1:6).

So does that mean if I have faith, God will give me what I ask for?

After all, Paul was a follower of Jesus who authored most of the New Testament and yet God did not remove what he called his “thorn” in 2 Corinthians 12:7.

And even Jesus desired to fulfill His mission in a way other than the one God the Father chose (Luke 22:42).

It is that encounter Jesus had with His Father (prior to His arrest) that most helps me understand faith.

Jesus said, ““Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

I know God can.  I hope God will.  But when all is said and done, I trust God to do what is best.  With each day that passes, I understand God less..and yet I trust Him more.  This is my expression of faith.

No comments: